Speaking & Media
Bill Schley is a popular speaker and regular guest on national television and radio programs focused on branding and communications. Since Why Johnny Can’t Brand: Rediscovering the lost art of the Big Idea was published by Penquin in 2005, Bill has appeared nationally on CNBC’s Street Signs, News 12 Network’s 12 On the Money, and CNN Money Online; and is a regular guest on nationally syndicated radio programs, including Alan Rothman’s Business of Success Radio and Jim Blasingame’s Business Advocates.
“I’m still getting calls from audience members, marketing professionals themselves, telling me how much they enjoyed your speech. One of our senior attendees even told me he couldn’t remember a better speaker in the 35 years we’ve been holding these events. You did it in a fresh and funny way. Thank you for making the day successful for us!“ – Marge Guglielmo, President New Jersey PR and Advertising Assoc.
As anyone who hears an interview, reads a book excerpt or testimonial will see, Bill’s style is lively, entertaining and informal. Prior to life as a brand consultant to some of the world’s largest corporations, Bill was a successful entertainer, wrote a comedy screenplay under contract to 20th Century Fox, and won the Effie award for Sales effective advertising while at Ted Bates Advertising in New York. Talks range from instructive to motivational – with lively question and answer sessions a key part of the program. Each program is tailored for the issues and industry concerns of the host audience. Topic Modules include:
- NEW! The Micro-Script Rules: How ideas break through in a hyper-connected world.
- The most important 30 Seconds in the life of your business.
- “One Item of Carry-on” – and the Brand Titans’ 17 other great rules of branding.
- Brand Magic for Salespeople!
- The biggest traps to avoid, biggest opportunities to exploit.
- When it’s right to re-brand.
- How you really can discover the Big Idea for your brand in our 8 – 10 week program, refined over 25 years in companies from start-ups to the world’s largest.
- Lessons beyond business – How the great principles teach us to find, commit, and focus on the most important thing.
- “The 1% Solution:” the real margin you need to win, become a legend or achieve dominance as a #1 brand.
What Audiences Say…
“For the second year in a row, your speech was top rated for content, delivery and relevance. People were buzzing about “Micro-Scripts” all day afterward. For such senior marketing people, that was amazing. You helped get the OTC National Conference off to a legendary start!”
-Hellen Spanjer COO , DTC and OTC National Conferences
“I’m writing about your excellent job speaking at the Equity Services Advanced Producer Forum for Top Sales Producers in Tucson. You have such energy, humor, it really brought your pointers home. Of the speakers during the three day forum, I can truly say you stood out as the bright spot for my colleagues and me. Your insights were great.”
– Manual E. Martinez National Life of Vermont President’s Club
“Thank you for your amazing presentation to the MBA students last night. The University of Connecticut Business School thanks you. Our future entrepreneurs where really surprised that branding and selling are major skills they must master – whether they’re talking to a banker for finance, suppliers or their employees. Again thank you. You were terrific.”
– Stanley I Mason, Jr. University of Connecticut Business School
“As you know, we’re fortunate to have some of America’s most famous authors speak at our signing events – from Frank McCourt to Al Franken. We rarely have business speakers. I didn’t know the subject could be so interesting or amusing. We keep getting enthusiastic comments. You hit it out of the park.”
– Carly Casper, Event Director RJ Julia
“Your speech really hit a home run with the group at our Sponsors Evening – nearly all of them came up afterward to say how entertaining and thought provoking it was. As you know, these business leaders represent the Chamber’s most generous, loyal supporters. Their time is valuable and we strive to make these events interesting and relevant. Your speech about “the most important 30 seconds in the life of your business” couldn’t have been better. Thanks for making it a super event.”
– Tony Rescigno President, Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce
“Wow – what a wake up call! Your presentation to the sold out crowd was a true hit! You held our attention throughout with golden nuggets of wisdom, right through the Q&A!”
– Kristiina Hiukka, MA, CPCC, PCC www.BigAgendaCoaching.com
“What a fabulous presentation you gave! Your spark and energetic personality truly captivated the crowd. Who knew the topic of branding could be so entertaining?”
– Jessica R. Estrada Event Coordinator, Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce
“Each year I bring together my Top Accounts from around the World. Our featured presenter was Bill Schley. This was our highest rated program.”
– Tracey Kelly Vice President of Sales, Holland America Line
“You have a gift for distilling great branding down to its essence, and bringing that essence to life with memorable examples and wry wit. It was a wonderfully engaging session … You challenged us, and I know a lot of students and experienced managers in that room are re-thinking what it means to build a great brand. I hope we can convince you to come back to William and Mary again!”
-James M. Olver Assistant Dean, MBA Program Mason School of Business The College of William and Mary